Children’s Church School
All children from 5 years of age are invited to attend St. Basil's Church School. For those families who do not currently attend St. Basil's, but would like their children to attend the school, please contact Fr. Martin.
St. Basil's curriculum uses Orthodox age specific manuals, supplemental materials, and projects. It is a well-structured program that meets the needs of children from elementary through secondary education levels. Over the years we have found that our students immensely enjoy working with these materials, and have come away with a knowledge about their faith that has served to build a strong foundation for future learning.
The school year runs from September to the first week of June. Classes meet on Sundays from 12:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the parish hall. The classes are currently divided into groups according to age level, which varies by year. Our teachers are knowledgeable and experienced in the Orthodox faith.
Church feasts that occur during the school year will also be discussed, along with the corresponding icon, vocabulary words, and Troparia for the feast.
If you have any questions or would like more information about our church school programs please contact one of the teachers, or Fr. Martin by email, or by the telephone numbers found on the Contact Us page.Main Objectives for Sunday School:
- To educate our children according to the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Faith and Traditions of the Orthodox Church.
- To develop in our children a deep love of the Church, its Tradition, and participating conscientiously in its worship and Mysteries.
- To prepare them for life-long growth in the Orthodox Faith and to develop a firm perspective on their life and times.
- Age Group: Primary 4-7
- Teacher: Julia Astafiev
- Curriculum: Church Etiquette, God and His Relationship with Us; Major Feast Days and Bible Stories
- Age Group: Intermediate 8-12
- Teacher: Sophia Galloway
- Curriculum: The Bible: Old & New Testament; The Holy Mysteries and How They Affect Us in Everyday Life
- Age Group: Secondary 13-17
- Teacher: Dewey Mundwiller
- Curriculum: Nicene Creed; Altar Server Program; Ethics, Morality, Virtues and Active Prayer Life
- Where they lived
- When they lived
- Spiritual life achievements
- When/Why they were glorified as a saint